Wednesday 21 January, 2009

On-screen: Gandhigiri, Off-screen: Patriarchy


Times of India - 19/1/09 and 22/1/09

Sanjay Dutt: "Girls who become part of a new family after marriage must assume their new surname and all the responsibilities that come with it.... That’s a message not just to my sisters, but to all girls who hang on to their parents’ surname. It’s become fashionable these days. But I strongly feel that doing so disrespects the person they’ve married. This may sound harsh, but if Manyata had said that she wanted to retain her father’s surname, I would’ve felt offended."

Asked whether she would contest elections if Sanjay couldn’t, Manyata Dutt said, ‘‘He has to take the decision. I take permission from him even if I have to go for coffee or dinner with friends. My priority is my family. He will decide if it is right or not right for me.’’

2 comments:

HOLEHEARTED said...

He's a known drug abuser, tax evader and best of all found guilty for possession of arms, and his main concern is in his sister's name!! People like Dutt, who have a history of lawlessness and having ties with enemies of the state should not be allowed to roam around freely, let alone be allowed to contest in elections.
www.prashantissac.wordpress.com

Ramesh Srivats said...

Yup. It sure looks like Sanjay Dutt combines his caveman physique with a stone-age moral outlook. However, as the poor guy is a novice in politics, I’ve written a speech that he could use :-)

Check http://www.rameshsrivats.net/2009/01/100-word-election-speeches-part-3.html